Saturday, December 31, 2011

My Essential Resolution for 2012

Did you know:


- The average American spends 8 hours a day in front of a “screen” per day which has doubled since 2005.


- The average American teen, sends and receives over 75 texts/day.


I am going to resolve to do what is essential.


I’m going to reduce the number of hours in front of “screens” including TV, computer, and cell phone.


I’m going to practice more deep breathing and create more stillness everyday.


I'm going to spend more time thinking, journaling, writing, mind mapping and doodling.


I’m going to do less talking and more listening, less judging and more understanding.


I’m going to work harder at making Sunday, a day of rest, unplug, connect with family and friends, read, walk/hike, ride my bike, and play Scrabble with my wife.


I am going to spend more time seizing the day.


See you on a park bench, a coffee cafe (without TV), French Broad Chocolate Lounge, Battery Park Book Exchange, on the trails, in a pew, in a living room (TV off)... !?


"Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each New Year find you a better person." Benjamin Franklin


Note: Susan Cain had an OP-ED piece in the NY Times, 1/13/12, Rise of the New Groupthink for another perspective to this blog. See http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/opinion/sunday/the-rise-of-the-new-groupthink.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=general&src=me

No comments: