Sunday, January 10, 2010

Reaching Out, Letting Go in 2010

What are you looking to reach out for in 2010?

What are you looking to let go of in 2010?

“There’s an opportune time to do things, a right time for everything on the earth:”

Ecclesiastes 3:1 MSG


A good friend of mine, Steve McCullough (See http://stuffedwithfluff-ohbother.blogspot.com/) says he tries to do three things everyday - Think, Laugh and Cry! Interesting how these three word initials, TLC, are also the initials for Tender Loving Care. Steve might be onto something. A little TLC for one’s personal well being may prove to be as beneficial as regular exercise, eating right and getting enough sleep! Might prove to be good New Year’s Resolution. Simple. Easy to accomplish. It is also in keeping with Henry Moore’s quote:


I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the year's.


Personally, I like to use Covey’s 7th Habit, Sharpening the Saw, for my daily resolutions - Spiritual, Emotional, Physical and Mental


Spiritual

  • Continue to seek the "Light" with daily meditation first thing in the morning. I've been breaking my conversation with God into gratitude, forgiveness, others, discovery, grace and action. I find when I do this, my day seems to be richer, easier to deal with problems, less chance of feeling alone and generates a sense of peace.
  • It’s here where I seek to prevent creating ugly stories. Ugly stories - the stories of judgment, the stories built upon fear rather than love, the stories that focus on the negative rather than the positive.

Emotional

  • Write one hand written note a day to someone and send via snail mail. The older I get, the more I value relationships. I want people who touch my life to know that I think of them, recall a common 'AHA' moment and send best wishes.
  • Seek to shine the light into the dark places. We all have dark places in our lives, the challenge is to seek the Light and share it with others to help them get out of the dark places.
  • Seek to smile and laugh more and help others to smile and laugh more. After all, that little voice in the head wants to always be serious and worried about what others think.
  • Talk less, ask better questions and listen more!
  • Play more games with friends and family

Physical

  • Continue to get 4 to 5 30 to 40 minute workouts a week. Much like daily meditation, I find a good, intense workout of at least 30 minutes is like drinking a good glass of wine! Again, it helps me deal with the daily challenges.
  • Continue to eat right and drink more water.

Mental

  • Read books of all kinds. Reading reduces ignorance and fights the fear factor. As I’ve written before, I believe fear is the opposite of love. Fear separates.
  • Seek more opportunity to live in my passion - helping people to "play" better together. In the past, I’ve facilitated over 70 workshops per year. Last year took a hit with all the transition in my life as well as the economy. I seek to get back on track!

So it’s back to Think, Learn and Cry, TLC. To jump start you to your own TLC... Check out


Think... http://blog.ted.com/2009/03/aimee_mullins_12.php


Laugh... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnOxvbGOTbM


Cry... www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=9xwCG0Ey2Mg

No comments: